Hnevank Monastery is located in Lori region, on the right bank of Dzoraget. The half-destroyed complex included three churches, a parish, living, household and additional constructions. The main church (6th century) is a rectangular outside and crossed inside domed construction.
According to the Georgian inscription on the dome, the church was renovated in 1154 by Smbat, son of amirspalasar Ivane Orbelyan. Only a part of the columns were preserved from the parish of the Western part. Comparatively better was preserved the domed church with semicircular altar on the Southern part (according to the Georgian inscription above the Southern entrance, it was built in the 13th century).
Early medieval Armenian architecture (4-7 centuries) has exclusive significance for the history of ecclesiastical architecture of Armenia. After adopting Christianity as the state religion in 301 a new stage of development begins with the introduction of new setup, new artistic and constructive principles that became the basis of the medieval Armenian architecture.